There are (at least) two ways in which I currently am doing the work of my students:
- I use learning outcomes to set learning goals and look for demonstrations of mastery.
- I frequently gauge timing and pacing through comprehension checks.
I will incorporate the following steps to ensure my students take on the burden of these two tasks:
- Post learning outcomes in class
- Have students draft two personal learning goals per semester that align with the outcomes.
- Have students demonstrate their attainment of their goals in the form of a self-created performance assessment.
- With the students, democratically elect a hand gesture to use when there is confusion. The signal cues me, the teacher, to use my tools to make the language more comprehensible.